On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:02:09 -0400 WILTON via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> THE TRAGEDY AND THE WALL
> By Wilton Strickland, Lt Col, USAF (Ret)

Not a silly Sondy tale, but thank you, Wilton.

> We had conducted the most intense bombing campaign ever against the
> most heavily-defended complex in history.  I was confident that the
> campaign was over, that it had been won and that the war was finally
> ending as we departed Hanoi for the last time.
> During the following two years, however, after US forces had withdrawn,
> Congress gave away what had been so dearly won.

And we are about to get into another situation like Vietnam and
Afghanistan. Years ago, we trained the mujhadeen in Afghanistan to fight
for us. What did that get for us? Hardened adversaries using our weapons
and training against us.

In Syria, training and supplying the rebels to do our fighting for us has
all the hallmarks of both Vietnam and Afghanistan. With as loose and
convoluted things are among the Muslim in the mid-East, it is very likely
the weapons we provide will be used against our troops or Israeli troops.

In trying to take a "short cut" for a quick, easy solution -- "no
American boots on the ground" -- we are setting ourselves up for even
more long-term grief in the mid-East.

> Even North Vietnam’s military commander, Gen. Vo Nguyen Giap, agreed
> with me .... “What we still don’t understand is why you Americans
> stopped the bombing of Hanoi (in Dec ‘72).  If you had pressed us a
> little harder, just for another day or two, we were ready to
> surrender!  It was the same at the battle of TET in ’68.  You defeated
> us!  We knew it, and we thought you knew it.  But we were elated that
> your media was helping us.  They were causing more disruption in
> America than we could on the battlefields.  We were ready to
> surrender.  You had won!” General Giap merely confirmed what many
> Americans already knew.  The Vietnam War was not lost on the
> battlefields in Vietnam — it was lost at home by public opinion and
> given away by Congress.

And there it is. The media were and still are against the best interests
of the American people. They are only interested in keeping themselves and
their cronies in power.

Craig