And we get spun up when the line at Starbucks is too long.....

Bob Rentfro

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher McCann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 7:49 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] mistakes a diesel owner should not make

I think "ex-Marine" is a faux pas. Don't Marines consider themselves always Marines? I remember hearing something like this from my grandfather (USMC, Korea 1952-53, and other FAR NICER places for the other 2 years).

 Marshall doesn't seem the type to tell us his personal story.

As a yungin' I find it frustrating when older folk DON'T talk about things. My grandfather refuses to talk about Korea, most German won't talk about WWII. HOWEVER, after having seen "Untergang" (downfall) and the opening seens of Saving Private Ryan (my other grandfather landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day). I can UNDERSTAND why they prefer to not speak, but it's still frustrating. Talking to someone who was there is 100X better than reading a book about it.

One of my mechanics was an East Prussian. He talked about the firebombing of Koengisberg (he was two and only remembers what his older sister told him)...they watched it from the hills where they dug a house in the ground. Their escape via ship from the Red Army (largest sea evac ever - 3,000,000 people - also the scene of the 3 largest sea disasters ever as the Russians sank huge ships full of wounded and civilian evacuees - HORRIBLE story), then they got stuck in East Germany and his first memory was as a four years old, their escape to the west near a Commie check point in the forest. He wept, but at least he spoke and I respected him for having the courage to do that for my sake, to answer my questions. And he was PRUSSIAN. They don't cry that easily!

 WAAAAAAAAAAY off topic, sorry.

 Chris

"Kaleb C. Striplin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Marshall is an ex marine? I didnt know that. I think he should write a
book.

LT Don wrote:
I will pay to see that ... if he contributes.

He is after all an ex-Marine. I am sure he could put even Pervine to shame.