In 110, 111, 112, 114, 115, 116, 108, 123, 124, and 126 cars, some of which are over 40 years old, I have never seen this problem.

Another reason I think pre-1990 MB are better.

The headliner in my '95 sedan is sagging.  New from Classic Center with
MBCA discount is over $1000.

I'd like to know if anyone else has successfully repaired / re-glued a 124
headliner.

I'm also open to trying other options, like removing the old headliner
entirely, and installing some dynamat insulation, and then covering that
somehow.