I have the same issue with the G. Here in LA there are headliner repair
guys. Some people recover the backing with suede and reinstall. Some camie
313 or any high tack spray upholstery adhesive on both surfaces, wait a few
seconds until it tacks up to touch, then smooth it down, spray another
strip, repeat. Any upholstery shop can do it for you if you bring it in.
You can also use foam backed cloth or glue foam to headliner then cloth to
foam. Maybe use latex foam if you want sound deadening; expensive but good
or maybe textilene. Original thickness. There was a good upholstery place
in falls church in basement of strip mall when I lived in NoVa. They could
handle it for sure.

Karl