Yes, I replaced tstat with a new MB unit from the classic center. It made no
difference.
There is a short hose under the tstat housing which leaks. After the car is
driven and comes to normal operating temp, this hose will leak coolant. I'm
theorizing that once the coolant cools and de pressurizes, air is drawn into
this leaking coolant hose creating air bubbles.
This might be the problem.
If the bolts were bottomed out, wouldn't the engine lose compression as the
head is not tight to the block? It started in frigid temps this am. Makes me
wonder.
As far as the bolts go, did we come to the conclusion that it would be alright
to remove one at a time, tap the hole and re-torque?

Sent from my iPhone