Put the back up on stands, loosen the diff from its support bracket and let it down a bit (I think with a jack?) which frees up the axles to slide out/in. You need to take off the diff cover to get at some retainer rings in there (quite fiddly, I remember that part!), so make sure you can get the filler plug off first so you can fill it back up after. It is actually not too hard, just fiddly. There are seals too you got to be careful of.

The first one I did took a coupla hours then the other side was a lot faster. I vaguely recall the brake rotors have to come off to get the axle out of the axle/wheel carrier/bearing (it was quite a while ago I did so the details are a bit vague). This was on the 123 TD, not sure what your car is but it is probably a similar process if yours is different.

There is a procedure in the manual that is fairly straightforward. Not too hard, but you have to get under the car and it can be a bit tight to do it while on your back lifting stuff around and reaching into the diff. Be a good opportunity to refresh the diff lube too.

--R