> Bob wrote:
>
> So how difficult of a job is that? I reckon you gotta have a lift.

No. It's not a bad job.

Last time I replaced an axle shaft (on a wagon) it took me
less than an hour from putting the jack under the car to the
car back on the ground. I've done it a few (too many) times.
And I had just done it (the replacement axle shaft immediately
began leaking) so all the bolts were clean and greased.

Here's my procedure

 * Jack up the car enough to get under to drain the
   differential oil.  It's a Good Idea (TM) to make sure the
   fill plug can be opened before you drain.  The higher the
   back of the car is jacked up, the less oil will drain out,
   so I only jack up the car enough to get to the fill and
   drain plugs.

 * While the oil is draining:

    - take off the wheel(s)

    - take off the brake caliper.  Yes, it really does need to
      come off.  I have tried many tricks to avoid it and
      always had to take it off.  Don't let the caliper hang
      by the hose, and try not to twist/stress the hose more
      than necessary.

    - remove the bolt that keeps the axle shaft in the wheel
      hub and push on the axle shaft to make sure it's loose
      in the hub.  I have never used a tool like the manual
      shows.  Occasionally I have had to tap the shaft out,
      but it's never been more than just a bit stiff.

 * Once the oil is fully drained, jack up the back of the car
   to working height.  I like to have the lower shock mount
   about 10-12 inches (25-30 cm) off the floor.  I get it this
   high just to make it easier for me to work under there -
   none of the parts install/removal process need the car that
   high.

 * Put a jack under the front of the differential (after this
   called the "differential jack") and remove the four bolts
   that hold the differential mount to the frame.

 * Remove the differential back cover. Lower the differential
   a bit with the differential jack will make getting to the
   top bolts much easier.  This part is especially tricky on a
   wagon because the fuel tank and the suspension control
   valve conspire to get in the way.  Lowering the
   differential changes "impossible" to merely "challenging".
   The shape of the lip on the differential housing means
   little or no oil will run out when the differential cover
   is removed.

 * Pull the retainer clip from the axle shaft.  I have a piece
   of steel wire with the end bent about 95 degrees.  The bent
   end fits into the hole in the retainer clip.  I grip the
   other end of the wire with vise grips and pull to remove
   the retainer clip.

 * With the differential jack, jack the differential up as
   high as it will go. This should mean it runs into the car
   body and is just a bit higher than it's normal position.

 * Pull/push the axle shaft out of the wheel hub, slide it
   past the hub toward the back of the car, and once that end
   is free, pull the other end of the axle shaft out of the
   differential.

Reassembly is pretty much the reverse.

 * First, clean the splines in the wheel hub and if necessary,
   on the replacement axle shaft.  I lightly grease the axle
   shaft splines to retard corrosion and make it all slide
   together more easily.

 * Put the differential end of the axle shaft into the
   differential.

 * Put the wheel end of the axle shaft into the wheel hub.

 * With the differential jack lower the differential.

 * Put the axle shaft retainer clip on in the differential.
   Put the wheel hub retainer bolt in and snug it.

 * Put the differential cover on and tighten the bolts to
   spec.

 * Using the differential jack, lift the differential so the
   differential mount bolts can be put back in. Tighten to
   spec.

 * Tighten the axle shaft wheel hub bolt to spec.

 * Put the brake caliper back on.

 * Put the wheel on.

 * Put Mobil 1 differential fluid in the differential.

 * Remove the differential jack.

 * Lower the car to the ground.

Things not specifically mentioned, but that always apply are:
clean mating surfaces, clean bolt threads, drink beer, look
for worn/missing/damaged other parts nearby, etc.

--   Philip