you wrote: " I thought I was being good, throwing away old crap for a change! "

That is the surest way to guaranty you will need some minor part that would have been good and didn't need to be thrown away. It's like washing your car and guaranteeing it will rain shortly...

I have 3 old wiring harness for my 66 MGB - it never fails that I'll need a piece of wire - and this way I am guaranteed to have the right color and end connectors.

But I know exactly what you mean about giving in and throwing something away...

LarryT