That will be the current approach, but I will replace the car. Back in my day I
could drive a beater but I don't want my kids driving them. It's a matter of
personal preference.

The rule here is that as long as you're in school full time the house provides
wheels and covers expenses.  He's a damned good student and a responsible kid
for his age. I consider keeping him in a nice car a perk, and he knows it and
is very, very appreciative. Most of his non-college buddies drive beaters they
are constantly patching together to keep on the road. I want him to understand
the value of an education and the ability to have and afford nice things as a
result. Seeing that contrast on a daily basis makes a very powerful impression
- it has on him, for sure.

As the son of a first generation immigrant, I have worked hard to get where I
am. I want my kids to have nice things and be successful, and if I can
contribute to that while making sure they have a good set of values and
appreciate what it takes to get where we are, I'm happy to do so.

Dan

Sent from my iPad