Peter, I've had mine apart and replaced the seal once already, and the seal
rides the hub, hub goes over the end of the crank.

I think mine is leaking because I used an aftermarket seal and the hub is
scored.

A few years ago the price for a new hub was about $80, now they are over $200.

Manual says the seal can be set deeper if the hub is grooved, I tried that but
maybe I didn't set it deep enough.

I'd like to get a used hub and (if grooved) see if a machinist can weld a bead
on the groove and then turn it down.  Goal is to minimize down time.

I'm also tempted to try JB Weld and sand/polish that smooth.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC