> Kaleb wrote:
>
> I have lived out in the country for many years, but now
> live even further out on a ranch/farm. Why do all
> farms/ranches have a street light on their power poll?

Way back in the early days of Rural Electrification, the
electric load in the rural areas dropped to near zero at
night.  So to even out the load a bit, the coops provide a
light for free if you pay for the electricity.

> Problem is when you go outside at night it's lite up like,
> well, a street light. It comes on at dark and turns off at
> light. I'm thinking about calling them and telling them to
> turn it off. The stars would be brilliant without it and it
> is annoying when trying to watch the meteor shower. So
> anybody know of any major reason that all farms seem to
> have these? I think I would put up motion flood lights that
> I can turn off. I don't mind the light but would like to be
> able to turn it off

Around here, they will NOT allow a switch on that light.  But
you sure can have them turn it off and you can put up your
own lights - with a switch.