It's security lighting.  It's convenient to just have the power company
install/activate one, assuming it's in a good location.  Cost is about the
same.  But you won't be able to turn it off.  I installed my own photo-eye
lights (sodium and mercury vapor) on my barn with switches so I can control
them.  That also let me place them where I wanted them vs the existing
poles.