So my wife wants to power her phone from a cig plug charger in the 2012 ML. There is a ciggy lighter in the front console, and the manual shows either/both a 12V socket there, but hers only has the ciggy lighter. I try to get the lighter out, push it down, nothing happens. So I pry it out, put in the charger, no juice.

So I pop the hood, find the fuse box and there are only a few small fuses in there and some relays and a 50A or 2 and no chart of anything. WTF? So then I download the manual (she does not leave it in the car for some reason) and it shows there are 3 (!!!) fuse boxes scattered around the car, one in the side of the dash by the pass door and another under the back seat. I try to find the one by the door, there is none there. WTF??? So the manual says "The fuse allocation chart is located under cover" of the rear one. So I open that one up, it has some fuses in it too, but no chart. WTF???? The 79 TD has a nice printed chart under the fuse box cover! I had to cut a little tab on the carpet cover too to get it lifted up, so I guess no one has ever been in that fuse box.

Have the Germans completely lost it? (Or maybe the Alabama assembly workers?) Neither of the boxes has a fuse chart, how the hell are you supposed to figure out what fuse might need to be changed? Good news is the fuses seem to be the newer flat things, I have a ton of those around but no idea which one to pull.

Off to the tubes to try to find a fuse chart....

--R

Don't have that problem on real Mercedes like my 240Ds, the 300D, the SDLs!

I am sure that is a bad habit learned from crypesler or other merkuns.

Even my dogde vans have one fuse box in front of the firewall, driver's side, just like all my MBs have been. (easily accessible) Everything is marked, and fuses are also listed in the owners manual.

It must be a bad habit from too much 'shine in Alabama.