Maybe a milsurp 120/240v diesel would be handy, just make sure it's
single phase.

You can rewire most 3-phase units zigzag for single-phase.
The unit is derated, of course.  Our 40kW 3-phase unit is
26kW zigzag, as it is currently wired.  Doesn't matter, we're
limited by the 40A (or 50A) breaker we feed the house through.
The genny is 140A, it doesn't really even notice the load.

Our power just came back on.  So 'generator hero' really wasn't,
I haven't got the little ones, which we rely mostly upon, working
again yet.

-- Jim