This is a pretty good website about Scots and Scots-Irish and their immigration
to America, especially if you scroll down to the immigration chapter.
A history book claimed that the Scots came looking for business opportunities
while the Irish came looking for jobs, it gave a list of prominent Scots
business men such as Carnegie of U.S.Steel as examples.
Gerry

http://www.everyculture.com/multi/Pa-Sp/Scottish-and-Scotch-Irish-Americans.html