Have you taken the door handle apart and really cleaned it? Back when I first
had my '83 240D I used to spray a mix of WD40 and carb cleaner into the door
locks to keep them moving. The guy I sold it to didn't so when I bought it back
the driver's lock didn't work at all. I ended up having to cut it apart to get
the wafers out so I could make a new lock.
Assuming you can still work the lock its really easy to take them apart, theres
2 screws in the door jamb and one at the other end of the handle accessible
once you have the door panel off. You might not need to loosen that one if the
last guy in there didn't crank it down too tight. I always have to fight with
the two rods a bit but with practice its not too bad, easier with the door
panel off but as long as that one screw isn't too loose its not required.
I don't remember exactly what holds the lock cylinder in, I think its a pin you
drive out. Leave the key in when you pull it so the wafers and their springs
don't jump out. HOSE the whole thing down with brake cleaner, really soak it
good. Then slowly pull the key and work each wafer back and forth while hosing
it with some more brake cleaner. When its all really clean coat it with your
preferred lock goop. I've got some PTFE stuff that works really well and repels
water.
If you don't have the little door that covers the lock you need a replacement
cylinder, MB doesn't replace just the cover. IIRC they're fairly expensive,
used should be available. Its not hard to re-key the lock, just transfer the
wafers over, make sure you move the springs too. Check it before you put it
back in the car, my experience is that either there are different model
cylinders or theres some variation in the cylinders so I had to swap wafers
around or trim some a little to make 'em work.
-Curt