Brian Chase wrote:

Regarding the oil filter: There is a remote, drop-in-element type filter, correct?

Not remote, though it is drop-in.

I thought it was mounted on the firewall. Am I incorrect?

Yes, it's mounted to the block.

Are there two oil filters - a remote one, and a traditional block-mounted, screw-on type?

No.

Reason asked: The mechanic says there's a leak at the fuel filter housing gasket. And he says it's mounted to the engine block. My mind is picturing that unit on the driver's side of the engine that (I thought) was mounted to the firewall. I'm trippin out. Maybe that is the fuel filter. Hardcore dieselers: try to disguise your disgust.

That is that unit.

I know, I should look at the manual on CD. I don't have it with me right now. By way of clarification, the car isn't near me either. I know the gasket will be inexpensive, but wonder if the dealer will take a few days to order it in. Won't be able to provide part no. (as in for Rusty) 'til I actually get my hands on the car. And by that time I won't have much time for it to be shipped to me.

616 184 07 80 - GASKET - OIL FILTER TO CYLINDER CRANKCASE

Our's used to leak.  In fact, the 300SD leaks from that gasket, too.

--
John L. Ervine
1981 240D 4-spd 270+kmi