That cam needs next to no power, would it still upset the "intelligent" electrical system?

--R

On 5/19/16 10:21 AM, WILTON via Mercedes wrote:
Thanks. I agree wholeheartedly about not just grabbing power anywhere. Overnight, I've been wondering about possibility of getting switched power via one of the reserve positions (F027 or F038) in the panel at driver side of dashboard and keeping in mind that I must be very careful. The amount I have explored thus far is nearly nil.

Thanks for tip on access to lighter.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jaime Kopchinski via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: "Jaime Kopchinski" <jaime...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 6:44 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Model 211 elec bus

Wilton,
First, be careful with just grabbing some power from something. These are
complicated cars and don't follow the basic rules we're used to about
battery, switch, and load.  All communications are done by CAN bus now,
even for simple things like a window motor. (Don't be afraid, this greatly
improves the possibilities of functionality while reducing the amount of
wiring and complexity: its a good thing which makes modern cars possible)

Don't use the OBD connector in the driver's side foot well either. Using the wrong wire could disable your car, and could impact dealers ability to
diagnose the car, or for you to pass emissions tests.

There is a fuse panel on the side of the dashboard under the panel visible when you open the driver's door (if I remember correctly). You can get a small fuser holder from the dealer and tap into power that way, but you'd
have to find the right location for switched power.  The best source for
switched power will be the cigarette lighter.  Taking apart the center
console is easy, just pull up on the wood around the shifter,then the ash tray pulls out. I'm sure you can find info online. I've done it hundreds of times, but the last time was probably 8 or 10 years ago, so the details
are fading.

Good luck,
Jaime

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 4:31 PM, WILTON via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>