Finally I begin.  I removed the exhaust system, and found that the
front section (before the first muffler [of three]) is indeed rotted
through, about where the support over to the transmission used to be
(it's gone, too).  I may be able to combine the two exhaust systems to
get one good one.  If not, a repair at the muffler shop shouldn't cost
much at all.  The problem area is just pipe.  Next I removed the
driveline, that went well.  I then unhooked most of the transmission
impedimenta, wires, mounts and such, and then drained it and the
torque converter.  The fluid didn't look too bad, but there was a bit
of milkiness to it at the end.  The six bolts holding the converter to
the flywheel and flex plate are out, as are all but two of the bell
housing bolts.  The two hard-to-get-at bolts are all that remains
holding it in, or so I believe.  Getting a wrench on the front crank
bolt was a pain, and in doing so I found that the radiator is quite
bent from the wreck.  Doesn't seem to leak, though.

It looks like this car indeed had two belly pans at one time, both are
missing.  It's got the two side shark-gill panels, all in all it looks
just like the SDL underneath, but smaller.  I may be able to fabricate
something like I did for the SDL.  There is little to no rust
underneath, excepting a piece of what looks like pipe underneath the
radiator that's rotted through and the stuff that's attacking the jack
points.

The car has a block heater, but no cord.  Just a nice cap over the
connections.  The donor car has a cord, so I'll be taking that.  The
steering damper is totally shot, there's no resistance in it at all.

-- Jim