Well, it's been about two months now that I've been tackling the severely
rusted out trunk floor on my 1973 220D.  I'm only able to devote 2-3 hours per
week so it will be a long haul.  Basically the floor has been rusted through
since I bought the car in 1997 and I've been putting it off for other more
cosmetic rust repairs, but I'm tired of having to deal with diesel (be it )
biodiesel fumes coming in thought the trunk.  Also all the contents in the
trunk getting a nice even coating of soot.  I'm tired of making excuses to
friends that ride in my car that the trunk is too dirty for their coat or bag.
  So, I went ahead and ordered a factory original trunk floor from K&K
manufacturing.  This has turned out to be a massive undertaking, having to
drill out or grind out hundreds of spot welds.  Was this car overbuilt or what!
 Anyway, I've removed about a third or so of the trunk floor.  Can see the fuel
tank and exhaust underneath- looks weird.  The smaller floor area to the left
is actually a separate piece that does not seem to be available, at least, not
at any reasonable cost.  I will fabricate this, beading and all.  Left lower
portion of quarter panel also rusted through.  Ordered a $40 patch panel from
K&K manufacturing.  This part will be easier but I unfortunately have to
fabricate the backing to which this is spot welded to as that also rusted away.
 I will send pictures of my progress once they become available.
  Dimitri
  1973 220D, 800K

 Yahoo! Mail