Jaaaja peaches may be ok if you get them tree ripened at the orchard, but west of the Mississippi, they are garbage. Very few stores even bother to stock them.

The problem with everything in the grocery store is that it is picked too green, unless it is a fruit or vegetable that keeps well, like radishes or carrots.

Peaches are the most delicate fruit to ship, but they can be picked, packed and shipped with minimal bruising. They can't be stored too cold. A normal cooler is too cold. The state health dept won't let you run a cooler at the proper temp for peaches, so they are mishandled once they get to a store. Generally, the peach needs to be sold within a week of picking, and the grocery warehouse/distribution systems don't move that fast.

The MO peaches we get are hauled from the orchards to the store. No warehouse. The truck comes through once or twice a week, so they stay fresh, with minimal losses. Most of the MO peaches are grown in the bootheel, so the trip is about 500 -600 miles. one day's drive, then they go into store stops for probably 2-3 days. You can get in about 20 store deliveries in a day.

Joisey peaches?   You gotta be kidding!  no way! not here!

archer75--- via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
August 28, 2016 at 8:33 AM
Surprisingly, no one has mentioned Georgia Peaches which are the world standard for taste and other qualities. Georgia Peach Wine always takes first prize at wine tastings. Supposedly eating Georgia peaches is the reason Georgia women are some of the most beautiful in the world. It's why they are often called "Georgia Peaches".
Gerry

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 09:10:15 -0400

Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
August 28, 2016 at 8:10 AM
If they are picked green they ripen into strawlike mush or a rubbery
crispness. Especially those HUGE CA nectarines.

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 8:21 AM, Jaime Kopchinski via Mercedes <

Jaime Kopchinski via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
August 28, 2016 at 7:21 AM
I'd guess they have different varieties for export/travel to other
locations, and these are most certainly worse than others.

I refuse to purchase peaches anywhere other than my local stand in Chester
NJ. They're outstanding, currently $25 for a half bushel. I'm on my third
box this month.

These peaches will not travel well, however. Even before they're ripe you
have to be careful with them.

NJ is one of the larger peach producing states... We are the garden state,
after all.

I believe they're selling Lorie peach right now, but I could be wrong.

Jaime
-just finished splitting another tractor cart load of wood

On Saturday, August 27, 2016, Curley McLain via Mercedes <

Curley McLain <mailto:126die...@gmail.com>
August 27, 2016 at 9:58 PM
I grew up with local Strawberries, cherries, blueberries, apples, peaches, plums, pears, and on a good year, apricots. Our own peaches were always best, and IL peaches next best, and MO peaches in third.

Living in HI, we had none of these available. One time I decided the CO peaches looked good, so I bought a few. They were terrible, absolutely dry cardboard, no juice, no flavor. Now a homegrown peach, or IL or MO peach would be so juicy the juice ran down your chin and down your arms to the elbow, where it ran off.

Here, the best we have been able to do is MO peaches with no variety identification. But still they are flavorful and juicy. Not run to your elbows juicy, but tasty, none the less.

Rich and Max were braggin about Carolina peaches a few weeks ago. When the store here ran out of MO peaches, I looked at CO, CA and whatever else they had, and decided, on Rich's recommendation to try the Carolina peaches.

WOW! they were dry as cardboard, and had nearly the same flavor! Terrible! Absolutely TERRIBLE! They looked pretty, but were dry as a bone , hard and had no flavor. The ones I tried to let ripen and soften some turned brown inside, but they were too dry to rot. They were even worse than those awful CO peaches I tried in HI!

Well, at least the strawberries in the store are still tolerable. Nowhere near the juiciness and flavor of real strawberries, but they are tolerable. I wonder who buys the cardboard peaches in the grocery stores. It has to be people who have never tasted a real peach.

So, Rich and Max:  Bah!  Your peaches are awful!

If it is any consolation, I won't eat anything called "Cherry" unless I made it with real fresh tart cherries, or frozen tart cherries. The sheeple are so stupid that they think cherry tastes like cough syrup, so all the "cherry" products may be made with real cherries, but they are flavored with maraschino cherry flavor mixed with cough syrup flavor to make an awful glop. Eating the cherries right in the tree was best! I'd usually eat 4 to 6 lb of strawberries in the patch too. That was GOOOD stuff!