No ideas on the paint, but I did want to address your transmission concerns.

Just because you're not "rolling coal" when you stomp the pedal at speed
doesn't mean the tranny is slipping. You could just be underfueling or the
timing could be off a little.

That being said, when you do this you should watch the RPMs closely to see what
they do relative to the forward motion of the car. That would be the tell as to
tranny issues. Also, if you're slipping the fluid would probably have some odor
like it was burned. Slipping in the clutches means friction and heat, which
equals burning.

Dan

Sent from my iPad