If I buy a car here, it cost me:

$75 title transfer
$36 registration
7% sales tax

There is a $225 "administrative fee" for any vehicle being brought into Florida
from out of state. However, if you have a retired registration (a registration
that's no longer in use but wasn't surrendered when the car was sold) it can be
applied to the out of state vehicle, negating the $225 fee. This is a very,
very obscure end run around the statute, but perfectly legal. A very nice and
accommodating DMV employee turned me on to this loophole some years back.

My long gone 1982 300SD serves this purpose, as it's still in the system from
over 15 years ago. Based on the out of state cars I've bought where this has
allowed me to avoid the fee, I figure the 300SD has a current value of a couple
thousand dollars at this point.

Dan

Sent from my iPad