From: Mercedes <mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com> on behalf of Floyd Thursby via
Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: 26 December 2016 15:09
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Cc: Floyd Thursby
Subject: [MBZ] Speaking of not starting

So the other night (Christmas eve) I had to drive up to Sparkleburg and
fetch the girl because her 300SD was not starting.  I had a coupla hours
to kill while she finished work so I fooled around with it in the dark.
She got a new battery as the old one was getting a bit weak.  I put the
battery charger on it with the START setting engaged to get a bit more
juice.  I cranked on it for 3 or 4 minutes after glowing 3 times, and
after awhile it would catch and run for a coupla seconds then die.  I
got to thinking it was a fuel issue, she put in new filters at the
engine so that should be OK.  I pumped the primer several times and
noticed 2 things: 1) it was leaking some and 2) it was kinda weird in
that it had a big plastic top, not like the ones with the little round
metal top.  I had never used it so never really noticed it, it must be
some aftermarket thing.  I did notice a bit of weeping around a coupla
the injectors, might have been coming from the return lines, I will have
to replace those.

Anyway I did that a coupla times, pump, crank, and it would fire for a
bit but then die.  There was smoke coming out so I figured it was
getting fuel.  After about the fifth or six try it finally lit off and
ran OK but was not idling very well, quite rough, but it kept running.
So that was success.  Restarting a coupla times it took maybe 5 seconds
of cranking to get it to light off.  So I am thinking there is more to
the issue than whatever was going on in trying to get it to start.

I had asked about this some time ago, I recall that valves adjustment
would be useful (I have never done it on this car but did on the TD a
coupla times so I know how to do it) and there were some other
suggestions too.  Anyone care to recap what I might need to do?  She
might be able to bring the car down to me at some point so I can work on
it, I would like to do whatever might get it starting and running
better, get it all done at once.   Might the pump be leaking and getting
air in the fuel line?

On another aspect the alternator belts were really loose, I tightened up
the alternator and then it sounded like either the bearings were going
bad or the fan thing on the pulley was scraping and making huge noise.
The alt is maybe 3 years old, a Bosch, so it should be OK.  The pulley
seemed tight so I don't know that that is about.

--
--FT
Winston Churchill:

[http://okiebenz.com/MVC-003S.JPG]<http://www.okiebenz.com/>

Welcome to Okiebenz.com, your online resource for the
...<http://www.okiebenz.com/>
www.okiebenz.com
Welcome to Okiebenz.com. Resources for the Mercedes-Benz owner and enthusiast

www.okiebenz.com
Okiebenz.com, resources for the Mercedes-Benz owner and enthusiast . Use the
form below to search the archives of the Mercedes mailing list