On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 18:09:12 -0500 Floyd Thursby via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

>           $328.11 !!!!!!
>
> This looks like the one on the car
> http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/0440017998

That's the entire lift pump.

You want only the hand primer, which is the black cylinder on the
upper-right of the part shown. The silver hex-shaped silver region is
part of the hand primer. The copper washer shown between the silver and
the black body of the lift pump is what seals the hand primer to the lift
pump body when you thread it into the body.

You probably want a crow's foot wrench to do the tightening.

Craig

> [...]
> >>
> >> Peter

> >> Floyd Thursby via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> >> December 26, 2016 at 2:09 PM
> >> So the other night (Christmas eve) I had to drive up to Sparkleburg
> >> and fetch the girl because her 300SD was not starting.  I had a
> >> coupla hours to kill while she finished work so I fooled around with
> >> it in the dark.  She got a new battery as the old one was getting a
> >> bit weak.  I put the battery charger on it with the START setting
> >> engaged to get a bit more juice.  I cranked on it for 3 or 4 minutes
> >> after glowing 3 times, and after awhile it would catch and run for a
> >> coupla seconds then die.  I got to thinking it was a fuel issue, she
> >> put in new filters at the engine so that should be OK.  I pumped the
> >> primer several times and noticed 2 things: 1) it was leaking some
> >> and
> >> 2) it was kinda weird in that it had a big plastic top, not like the
> >> ones with the little round metal top.  I had never used it so never
> >> really noticed it, it must be some aftermarket thing.  I did notice
> >> a bit of weeping around a coupla the injectors, might have been
> >> coming from the return lines, I will have to replace those.
> >>
> >> Anyway I did that a coupla times, pump, crank, and it would fire for
> >> a bit but then die.  There was smoke coming out so I figured it was
> >> getting fuel.  After about the fifth or six try it finally lit off
> >> and ran OK but was not idling very well, quite rough, but it kept
> >> running.  So that was success.  Restarting a coupla times it took
> >> maybe 5 seconds of cranking to get it to light off.  So I am
> >> thinking there is more to the issue than whatever was going on in
> >> trying to get it to start.
> >>
> >> I had asked about this some time ago, I recall that valves
> >> adjustment would be useful (I have never done it on this car but did
> >> on the TD a coupla times so I know how to do it) and there were some
> >> other suggestions too.  Anyone care to recap what I might need to
> >> do?  She might be able to bring the car down to me at some point so
> >> I can work on it, I would like to do whatever might get it starting
> >> and running better, get it all done at once.   Might the pump be
> >> leaking and getting air in the fuel line?
> >>
> >> On another aspect the alternator belts were really loose, I
> >> tightened up the alternator and then it sounded like either the
> >> bearings were going bad or the fan thing on the pulley was scraping
> >> and making huge noise.  The alt is maybe 3 years old, a Bosch, so it
> >> should be OK. The pulley seemed tight so I don't know that that is
> >> about.

> --
> --FT
> Winston Churchill:
> “Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small,
> large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good
> sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming

Craig

----------------------------------
Present: '82 240D/3.0   Bluebell   285 kmi (Still need to fix leaking
                                            oil pressure gauge and do
                                            something about the failed
                                            hood paint and attend to the
                                            headlight switch -- and now I
                                            need to do something about the
                                            broken left rear trailing arm)
         '89 Chevrolet G20 Beauville Van (affectionately dubbed the BRV,
                                         the Big Red Van)

Past:    '95 E320       Sebastian  135 kmi   RIP
         '94 E420       Oskar      127 kmi   RIP
         '86 190E/2.3
         '72 220/8
         '64 190Dc      Emma