Bitter cold is 20 below 0 and colder. The only Diesel I had trouble starting at 20 below was the worn out 1965 190Dc I bought for $400 and drove several winters as a winter car. Yes, it was the one that wiped out the pinto and drove away.

I 'd put a propane torch on the head and heat it up.
Curt Raymond via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
February 28, 2017 at 3:24 PM
How cold is "bitter cold"? Your car should start easily down to at least 0F and probably colder than that. A dead glowplug would make the car idle poorly until it warmed up a little, you'd basically have a dead hole for awhile.
-Curt

From: Andrew Strasfogel <astrasfo...@gmail.com>
To: Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com>
Cc: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] so much for rock auto

I don't have any starting problems EXCEPT when it is bitter cold, and I suspect that problem is caused by a faulty block heater. I do have a low idling problem at ignition, which I have yet to address but it has nothing to do with GPs or injectors. On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Maybe that explains the starting problems you've been having. I've had to replace glow plugs in every MB I've ever had.I've only been driving MBs since 2003 but I've put on close 300,000 miles, 90k each on the '83 240D and '85 190D, more like 50,000 miles each on the '78 240D and '84 190D. I had injectors cleaned on the '84, it helped it idle more quietly but didn't fix the rough starting problem it had, I think that was probably leaking rubber hoses.
-Curt