Hey Max,
The thing that hit me when I bought a MIG welder was "Man, with some thought and planning I can create stuff." It just struck me as one of those moments when possibilities are endless. What I'd love to have now is a TIG welder. It seems their prices have come down a bit too. Don't know if you are thinking Stick, MIG or TIG. Each have their own learning curves and a auto-dimming helmet makes like so much easier.
    Good luck -
LarryT