I know I'm late to the party here, but what would be wrong with going in and
applying more or less wide open (read and write) permissions to the whole
volume?  Wouldn't that allow the files to be read by pretty much
anyone/anything regardless of OS?

I've done this in Windows, Mac OS and various flavors of Linux when necessary
due to problems with file or directory ownership.

-D