On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 21:21:42 -0400 Dan--- via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Nice power unit.  That's the term for a "fan to flywheel" setup like
> you have.  A complete operating engine on its own.

Yes, I should have mentioned that term.

> I'm betting that's really a Perkins or some other manufacturer's engine
> that Cat has brand labeled or having produced under license.  Cat has
> never made an engine that small, at least not that I've ever seen.
>
> I'll run some calculations tomorrow, as I am wiped out right now from
> hurricane prep.  Suffice to say the best approach in my opinion would
> be to do a direct coupled set rather than a two bearing. With a two
> bearing you introduce all sorts of issues with power transfer,
> mounting, etc.

The two-bearing approach is what I did with our propane-fired
Chevette-powered generator, since I didn't have access to a matching
alternator head (and the Chevette engine wasn't intended to couple to an
alterhator head, anyway).

> More tomorrow.

Thank you.

Craig