Transmission mount?
Engine mount shock absorber(s)?
Glow plugs?
Air leaks?
Uneven compression?
Uneven valve adjustment?
Unbalanced injector nozzles?
IP problem?

I put a new engine shock on the 81 240D (it only has one) and that smoothed out the idle A BUNCH!

archer75--- via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 30, 2017 at 6:17 AM
My '83 300D (same drivetrain as yours), which also doesn't get driven much, does the same thing. It sort of "hammers" and shakes the engine at idle in any kind of weather. There are new engine mounts. Been meaning to ask the group about that but always forgot to do so. I vaguely recall that carbon buildup is supposed to be the cause and the cure is to lug the engine up a long grade with the engine temp topping out. I do know that either that engine or the '83 240D engine run better after an 80 mph trip to Orlando and back.
Gerry