Planetaries don't go bad often, but when they do, look out, especially if it says Cat on it. In another life, I sold parts for machines with planetaries. I saw people who wrote checks for $100,000 to $150,000 machines blanch at 2 things. Not a crate engine, not an allison transmission, not a $1000 tire (in 1975) but at the cost of fixing a planetary and at buying a replacement belt drive for a dry spreader. (think salt truck) That belt drive was a 2" dia steel shaft with a roller driven by a worm drive, like a Braden winch, but on the scale of a 50,000 lb or 100,000 lb winch. The bronze gear was about 10" diameter and weighed 30 or 40 lbs. (and this was not cat equipment. Add 50 to 100% for the cat and their yellow paint.)

For Kaleb's use a full size farm tractor would let him pick up cars and move them around with a loader and forks. A 4440 JD with MFD, loader and forks would allow him to grades driveways, move rock and dirt, pick up cars, mow, pull fence posts, dig post holes or drive posts with a auger or post driver. They are also good for lifting shingles to the roof if he ahas to roof one of his houses. THe MFD is not necessary, but with the weight of the car on a loader, it will make getting around easier at the cost of not being able to turn as tight as a wide front tractor with undriven wheels. So far there is no large livestock on rancho costa plenny, so there is no need for a backhoe to bury carcasses. A full size farm tractor will do everything I can imagine him needing to do, and the things that he has said he wants to do. The current JD is nice but it was expensive and is too small to pick up and move whole cars to the back 40. A full size JD does not have a planetary. the final drive of full size farm tractors, whether JD, IH, Case, or white don't fail very often, even with 10 or 20,000 hours. The transmissions are all most as rugged. The IH 6 cyl engine is legendary for its longivity, on average, probably 50 % better than JD or more. (10-12,000 hours) Many (probably most) IH tractors from the 70s have not been overhauled. not so the JDs. By now most 4340s and 4440s have had at least one overhaul. A 4020 may have been overhauled 2 or 3 times if it has been in constant use.

I think a midrange JD with a loader and lots of weight (barrels filled with concrete) on the 3 pt might pick up and move whole cars. I had a 5500, and i am 90% sure it could do the job if it had a heavy duty enough loader and rear weight to counterbalance. It was 70hp (more than needed for Kaleb;s work) and had MFD. It was a great tractor for my purpose (mowing and spraying). The 5300-5500 are large frame yanmars, where Kaleb's current yanmar is medium size for yanmar. (All are a lot smaller than a real full size, JD, ) Everyone in farm country knows how to work on these models of JD because they are everywhere. Not so the Yanmars painted green. I don't know what the model is of the smallest of the JD 5000 series is, but they all should have the same frame and carrying capacity, so the critical thing about them is the capacity of the loader. 35 HP is probably enough but if you can get more for the same money then the HP is "free" (at the cost of fuel consumption). For Kaleb's occasional use, the fuel consumption is not a big deal.

A JD 310 or higher industrial loader tractor would work too, but parts are scarce and expensive, except for the ones that are used on farm tractors too.

The thing is that a real JD such as I suggested will run for thousands of hours, they are plentiful, and parts are all over. Even FLAPS has parts for JD4020, 4340, 4440. JD dealers are all over. Other colors are less pervasive. I think I may have seen a kioti dealer. somewhere, a long time ago. I drive by JD dealers all the time, all over the country. CaseIH dealers are less pervasive, but all over the country. Other colors are hit and miss. Kaleb already knows how to find his JD dealer and spend money there!

Scott Ritchey via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
February 18, 2018 at 9:59 PM
Curley,
What is the problem with planetarys? My Kioti DK45s has a planetary final drive and it looks (to me) much stronger than the single-gear final drives I see on most newer machines.
Scott