Thanks, Karl, PM sent.

The typical culprits for these cars, which are nearly identical functionally to
the W140s of the same vintage, is bad wiring. However, mine has all been
replaced as has the ETA.

As for the diagnostics, they’re actually pretty good for this vintage model,
and for that matter, the same on all other MBs of the same vintage, so there’s
nothing unique as far as the V8 W124 over any other model produced at or around
the same time.

I’m not ready to toss in the towel.  It’s narrowed down now so it’s just a
matter of being able to zero in on the affected part and have at it....

Thanks!

Dan