-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of John Berryman
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 2:59 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Wood

On Mar 17, 2006, at 1:10 PM, Jim Cathey wrote:

> What has been working, sort of, is to have the pieces of wood
> short enough that they can sit in there endways towards the
> door.  Then I stack some next to the fire, and maybe on top
> of the smoke shelf, to dry out.  Partially.  Using this and
> leavening it with the last of our semi-dry wood (it was cut
> for next year!) we can keep the upstairs of the house at about
> 60 degrees, with some work.  At times it even approaches 65,
> when the sun is out!
>
> -- Jim

        You might get a few more degrees out of it if the wood was well
seasoned. It doesn't always work out that way so you compromise and
make do with what you have.
        On the coldest nights last year when power went out we were able to
maintain 62F with one Vermont Castings Vigilant. Our log home is
pretty big but we shut down 2 stacked bedrooms that are on their own
heat zone. They are only used when we have guests, so we save a bit
there.
        This Winter we have 2 Vermont Castings as my Wife bought a mint
hardly used Resolute (wood not gas) for $250 and had my buddies
install it while I was working down South. We can get it real toasty
in here now but both of us like it around 67F daytime and 60-62 at
night.
        We started putting up wood for next year already and still have
enough seasoned to get through this year with about 1/2 cord left
over. A family around the corner just had some big trees cut down, 2
big beech, some ash, hard maple, locust, white birch and red oaks
too. They have gas stoves and I get all the wood as long as I get it
out of there by May. It'll be close to what I will be needing for
next year.

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am