I just changed the center bearing on the '78 450SLC this afternoon.

Note - MARK the alignment of the front/rear sections BEFORE you pull
them apart!!!

I keep reading about loosening the clamping nut to be able to slide
the shafts apart, but I've  never needed to (four cars now) - they
just slide apart. They don't feel loose or sloppy, just not too tight
to slide.

Once that's done, and the drive shaft is out of the car, remove the
snap ring in front of the bearing. My bearing then slid off with one
whack from the edge of my hand. New one went on a bit tighter - took
several taps with a hammer and drift to get it seated.

Removing the bolts from the flex disks was the most difficult part -
for a decrepit old man working on his back under a car that's not high
enough with dirt falling into his eyes -----