You dont have to pay extra to drop things off at the ups store, formerly known as mail boxes etc. When I used to use UPS, I have an account and printed the lables at home, then just walked in to the UPS store and dropped my boxes off, no charge for that. If they do the printing of the lable for you, its more expensive I think. The bad thing about UPS though is their rates are WAY more expensive, and they charge $2 PER package to pick them up at your location. With fedex, I just pay a certain amount per week no matter how many packages I ship. With DHL, some things are cheaper to go with them for larger items. But generally fedex is usually WAY cheaper.

LT Don wrote:

What is killing UPS is the additional charges paid to drop something off at
a pickup spot (aka a store).

I ship FedEx Ground from my office for free. I walk it up a block to the
local UPS pickup spot and get charged a surcharge for giving them my
business.

I have given up on UPS unless there is no other way. I recently shipped
two
Porsche wheels by Fedex Ground in two wheel boxes taped together to LA
from
Seattle. I dropped the package at Kinkos at 2pm on a Tuesday and the box
was in
LA Friday morning. Thirty-eight pounds for seventeen bucks plus three more
for
$1000 worth of insurance.

Return by UPS was 35 bucks.

RLE

"There're always enemies, George. Jesus had enemies."
-- Tom Clancy, _Executive Orders_

1977 240D
1983 VW Quantum turbo diesel 5-speed
1972 Honda CB-500K motorcycle