no more smoking at all, I drove it to work in tulsa today. The tranny seems to be shifting fine at the moment as near as I can tell, so shall see if it holds up. Will a 190E tranny fit in it also?

Marshall Booth wrote:

Kaleb C. Striplin wrote:

Well I got all the pepto out of the tranny, just ended up draining the pan and converter, filling it back up, unhooked one of the cooler lines and just kept dumping fluid into it as the engine ran till I got clear fluid. Was about 4 gallons or so of fluid. Then I drained it again, dropped the pan and cleaned out all the junk(there was quite a bit of crap in the bottom, was worried tranny is toast. New filter, filled it back up and it seems to shift just fine, even a little on the stiff side. This is the car that back when I bought it over a year ago it had a BAD head gasket, was blowing massive clouds of smoke and sprayed oil out the tail pipe. Luther can attest.

http://www.striplin.net/pics/190d/

Anyways, replaced the head gasket and it runs great. Then I noticed the pepto problem. Anyways, today is the first time it has really been driven since then. Drove it about a mile and it started getting up to operating temp. Then I get MASSIVE amounts of smoke again. Drive another mile or so home, check tranny fluid, etc and let it idle. I was actually getting sparks out the tail pipe!! Took out for a couple more miles, smoke clearing up. Guess it had a BUNCH of oil in the exhaust still. Im surprised, that little thing is pretty peppy actually.

Now just need to get up to speed on these little things. There seems to be some play in the front sway bar like the braket thing on each end is not tight with the body, yet the bolt seems tight. Think its giving me a clunk a little bit. Also seems pretty squirly on the road. Might just take some getting used to I guess. Also, what the heck turns on that cheap electric fan clutch deal? Mine doenst seem to kick on I dong guess, it was idling and the temp climbed up higher than where I think it should and the fan never kicked on.

Squirrelly on the road (it the front end steering connections are tight) usually means either bad ball joints or MUCH more often rear end steer caused by worn rear links.

Clunks can be caused by worn sway bar bushings (even MORE common in 124s).

It can take many HOURS of highway driving to get all of the oil out of the exhaust system.

If there has been water in the transmission for a while, the friction materials and some of the glued (attached with adhesives) parts have usually been ruined and may let go without warning. I think I've heard of the B-2 band letting go, but this may be incorrect.

Marshall

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 90 420SEL, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL, 85 380SE, 85 300D,