Based on the limited exposure I had with a week long rental cabin, the tanks
are far too small to provide adequate heated water for more than one occupant.

The tanks will spew out hot water for ages.  There just are far too many
demands on the thing for it to do a decent job for more than one bathroom.  The
heater in the cabin was supposed to be three gallon.  It was able to give a
decent shower experience and no drop when the sink was used as well.  But,
somebody in the kitchen or a second bathroom would create a significant drop in
performance.  Add a dish washer or wash machine, and there was more brain power
spent trying to map out usage than that instant shot of hot water could provide.

The tank was located mid-cabin, so that it served the main floor bath and
kitchen.  Probably most used locations.  The travel to the other bathroom and
washroom made for too long a travel down cold pipes.

clay

> On Jun 26, 2019, at 5:56 AM, Curley McLain via Mercedes
> <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> SWMBO decided we should throw out the gas water heater and get an electric
> heater "so we don't have to light the pilot"   This was a bolt out of the
> blue.  In the process, I looked at tankless electric water heaters.   The
> point of use ones seem to be between 1.0 and 1.3 GPM, while "whole house" run
> 3.0 to 3.6 GPH.  The max usage would probably be 2 people taking showers
> while someone washes dishes.   Two people most of the time, and a max of 6.
> The guy at the plmg supply said we'd not be happy with the tankless electric.
>   The current 30 gal heater has always kept up, but we generally staggered
> showers so both did not use water at the same time.
>
> is 3 gpm realistic for a normal household?   Will 3 gpm rating really keep up
> with 2 showers in the real world?
>
> I can buy 3 Point of use 1.3 gpm heaters for the price of one 3 gpm whole
> house heater.   I had thought of using 3 of these in a parallel setup to have
> some redundancy (central, not POU)   Would this work as well as a single
> heater in the real world?
>
> Would I be better off convincing her to leave the gas 30 gal heater be?

clay monroe