I have coffee with some old guys most mornings at McDonald's before I come to the office. They are all retired. About a week ago, one of them told us that his neighbour's son was killed the day before. He owned a construction company (trucks, backhoes, loaders etc) and they were doing a foundation repair on a building. He and 2 employees were down in a trench laying re-bar for a concrete pour when the trench caved in. The other 2 fellows jumped out but the business owner was buried. He was in his 50's. He must have known better than to do that, but trades people are often very careless. It becomes all about how quickly they can do a job in order to make more money and they take chances that they ought not to take. If it had been an employee that died instead of the owner, he would likely have been fined tens of thousands by the workplace safety department of the provincial government.