I always place water hotters where a leak just goes down the drain.   That is a common practice this part of the country.

Clay Monroe via Mercedes wrote on 6/26/19 5:14 PM:
+1 on heaters aging out.

The tank we installed in 1996 had the melting dip tubes.  The tube got replaced
a dozen years in after dissolving through the copper pipes.  Four years later
the tank drained from a pinhole in the base.  A couple hundred gallons or
initially hot water filled the basement.  Now I have the thing on a 15 year
cycle.  Cheaper than rebuilding the basement

clay monroe