Mitch Haley via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> writes:

> There's some argument whether the outdoor unit should be earth
> grounded. I drove a ground rod for the first one I installed and was
> told not to do that, so I didn't do that again, didn't have trouble
> either way.

I think the idea is that all the earth and neutral bonding for an
electrical service should be at one point, the main service panel. If
you have other bonding points you can wind up with return current
flowing on the ground wire and possibly energizing appliance or
equipemnt surfaces that are connected to ground.

Allan