Costco is like any bulk warehouse place - you have to be selective about what
you buy, and have it be something you actually use with some frequency.

I don’t mind stocking up on a case of TP or paper towels, as I’ve got room for
it. I’m not buying loads of food in bulk, but things like the house brand stuff
can be a good deal, and for the most part it’s very good. For instance, the
frozen pepperoni pizzas (4-$10) are very good, and far less expensive than the
junk in the grocery stores that costs far more. They have good deals on bulk
cheese, too. However, their fresh chicken and beef are no deal, and can even be
pretty outrageous.

A couple Christmas seasons ago I was in line behind someone that had $400 of
beef tenderloins. I get the exact same stuff from a local farmer’s market that
supplies all the restaurants in town for less than half that. Granted, it’s in
a lousy neighborhood, but I can go there and spend $100 on fresh meat and it’s
easily twice the amount of what I would get elsewhere.

-D