Probably just a simple explanation for Andrew's deranged wabbits.   Probably comes from living in the swamp.

Clay Monroe via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 14, 2019 at 5:20 PM
Invasive plagues?

Maybe relates to climate change, but I have noted an increase is nature attacking. There was a story in the paper about a deer out clubbing in the nightlife district a few weeks ago. Middle of downtown, rollicking Friday night around 1am with drunks, hookers, club bands causing a ruckus, and Bambi is right at home.

Last summer had a massive incursion of fluffy tail wabbits with no fear of humans. Middle of the day hopping slowly and munching on gardens. Nights were worse, with marauding packs of the beasties on sidewalks and streets. Beady little eyes all aglow when you hit them with headlights. And all manner of raised gardens enclosed in wire cages.

A few years before was the plague of snails. Non native sort. Escaped from chinese flower pots? I had not seen the sort in 40 years of playing in the gardens. Slugs abounded, but these new mollusks were gathered in crowds under all sorts of shaded areas. Lots of weird shell designs, makes you think they were following the gender confused vibe.

Now, I am seeing a creeping moss overtake the gardens and walk ways. This stuff is not the slow growth type that I would pressure wash every decade or so as it slowly thickened. The new stuff is fast growing, velvet smooth and not the emerald greens of the native type, but a vibrant kelly green. Comes on in mats on pavement and retaining walls. In two months! Very much like the plague of disposed junkies and other un-homed in Seattle.

clay