Those field rats are so accustomed to being honked at that they have figgered out no harm comes to them if they ignore it.  So they ignore the sound. Some of them in WI are so accustomed to being around people that I practically have to punch them in the nose to get them to move.   (close enough I could punch it in the nose.)   It is easier to get a cow or a horse to move than some of the field rats.   While others are wild and spook easily.   If on foot, I usually see how close I get before they move.

As for the ones that graze contentedly at the edge of the road, I often turn abruptly toward them to try to spook them.  It usually works, but makes SWMBO mad.

fmiser via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 19, 2019 at 10:48 AM
But sometimes
there are the ones that don't seem to notice - maybe they are deaf?