I don't know how my parents found them, but an experienced and small
company did their roof for less than twice what the shingles would have
cost at Home Depot. The owner and his son did all the work. Far better
than paying a lot more for a crew of newbie monkeys.

That's what I want, two men and a truck, willing to put a reasonable labor
charge on top of their cost of materials. They're harder to find because
they don't have a ton of money to put into advertising. And you want a guy
who's been a roofer for 10-20 years straight, not some random moron who
can't get a job so he calls himself a roofer when he needs money for more
drugs/alcohol.