On 2020-09-29 17:36, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
MA penalizes you if the LAST owner didn't register the vehicle, even
if it was from a different state.

I can remember looking at dealer auctions, and whenever a CA titled car was listed, they'd disclose how much CA registration was due on the car to free up the title, usually $50-200, rarely zero.

My nephew in law got lucky with his cars. He gave his CRX to a friend when he moved back to CA the first time, and I didn't hear of her having trouble getting a MI title for it, but she might have. His Dakota went a few years in Michigan on an expired CA plate, then a couple years in CA, then a year in RI, then a few years in MO. He registered it in CA when he left MO, and CA no longer had a record of him owing registration taxes on it. My niece was all ready with her 'I told you so' speech, and it was sort of a let down for her when he got away with it. His driving around the country on expired CA plates used to irk her.