Having done all of the above, I would helicoil it.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 5:43 PM Kaleb Striplin via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> I do not think I am going to helicoil it.  I see the potential to make
> it much worse.  I see several folks on the forums mentioning they just
> coated the threads with JB Weld and it has been fine. I also have seen
> this Locktite thread repair and thought about trying it.  Basically you
> coat the bolt with a release agent, then mix the 2 part epoxy.  Coat the
> bolt with it then run the bolt in the hole for 5 minutes.  After 5
> minutes, remove the bolt and then let the epoxy set for 30 minutes
> before then screwing the bolt in.  Supposedly it it forms new threads
> using the bolt as the pattern.
>

> https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-442-28654-4-80ml-Thread-Stripped/dp/B000WSEUII
>

> On 10/25/2020 5:38 PM, OK Don via Mercedes wrote:
> > My next concern would be cleaning up the shavings after tapping and
> > installing the helicoil. I have first hand experience with this from
> > helicoiling a head hold down stud in a VW case once - despite out best
> > efforts at containing and then removing the chips, the engine seized in
> > about a mile or two. Tear-down revealed lots of aluminum shavings in the
> > crank bearings.
> > I read a tip on an airplane forum the other day where he
> > recommended filling the area with shaving cream before drilling, tapping,
> > and breaking off the tang of the helicoil, then vacuuming it out
> > afterwards. He claimed that you get all the chips out and that the
> shaving
> > cream (soap) doesn't hurt anything. I've never tried this, YMMV.
> >
> > It's a metric thread, use a pair of calipers and measure the diameter ---
> > If you don't have a pair of calipers, I can recommend this set (the HF
> ones
> > died early and were not repeatable)
> >
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AQEZ2W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
> > I like them so much that I bought two, one for each side of the hangar so
> > I'm running back and forth all the time looking for them.
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 4:04 PM Kaleb Striplin via Mercedes <
> > mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Any idea what size helicoil it would be?

> rate..
> >> It
> working

> good
> it

> >> belt
> >> with
> down.
> >> could
> I’m
> >> think
> >> first
> >> half.
> >> locktite?
> >> clean
> >> See

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!