The City of Flagstaff requires builders to earmark a certain percentage of new
construction as subsidized housing (they have a better term for it, I don’t
recall what it is) that can only be sold to City employees at a reduced amount.
I looked at a couple of the homes being built in a subdivision that has homes
in the $400k-$500k range, pretty typical for the market, and the cost to City
employees for one was around $300k. Add to this down payment assistance and
$10k in a down payment “grant” that is forgiven after 10 years in the property
and it’s almost affordable for someone making $30k-$40k.

-D