The running amps are around 7-8.
But the starting amps are (very briefly) 47 plus whatever the fan draws.
I'm not surprised that a 20A time delay breaker can handle it, but it seems the 15A fast blow isn't as instant as I might have assumed it to be.

On 2021-07-31 22:43, Allan Streib via Mercedes wrote:
What is the error tolerance on the Ampere rating on a circuit breaker?

Maybe your 15A breaker is allowing a little more than that, and the
recommeded 20 assumes that the actual breaker might trip a little
lower. There must be a little headroom on the required rating, so that
people don't complain that their breakers are always tripping off.