We ran the wood stove for a few days to see how it would go, and while it made
that part of the house “toasty”, there was no good way to distribute the heat
throughout the rest of the house. The wood stove is in the far corner of a
former 2 car garage that was converted to living space many years ago. As a
result, there’s limited airflow from the HVAC system out there, so there’s no
viable way to “push” the heated air into the rest of the house. I tried using a
box fan to blow air from the are to the rest of the house, but again, it wasn’t
terribly efficient and didn’t really make a significant difference, even with
using the HVAC blower to move air around.

That and it consumed wood at a crazy rate. I have a couple of those big canvas
“carriers” you use to carry wood around, and it would easily go through one to
one and a half of those in wood in a day. In the week or two that we ran it,
just during the day, I probably went through a 1/4 of a cord or more.

You can get free wood for the taking from parts of the National Forests around
here, but it goes really fast as one might expect. That and I don’t really have
the means to collect and manage a large volume of firewood, unless I get a
trailer for the ML.

With a gas bill of under $100/month in the coldest part of the year it’s
difficult to justify the time and effort to burn firewood, not to mention it’s
not exactly the most efficient or cleanest way to heat, either.

Thankfully, we’ve got double-pane windows but I don’t think they’re anything
fancy with gas between the panes. One advantage of multi-pane windows is
cutting down on noise, too.

-D