A buddy in my dorm had some money I think in a trust after his dad died, and he
was in the Natural Guard too so made some $$ from that. He was always upgrading
his hifi system.

Quadrophonic came out and he bought a system. Some huge receiver putting out a
couple hundred watts, a quad turntable, and 4 Heil Air Motion Transformer
speakers which were pretty huge. All this in like a 10x12 dorm room.

The speakers were truncated pyramids with the woofer in the bottom then this
vertical omnidirectional speaker in the top.

It was “surround” sound at the time and certain albums were remastered for the
four channel aspect. It sounded really cool but after awhile was kinda tedious.
The room was too small to really get the full effect but he got married and
moved into a campus apartment that had a larger living room and it was
marginally better.

I think the fad passed but he hung onto the system for quite some time. There
were never too many quad recordings but it played stereo quite well and there
was some “simulate” setting.